Answered By: Reference Librarians Last Updated: May 07, 2019 Views: 373
What is interlibrary loan (ILL) and how does it work?
What is ILL?
Interlibrary Loan is a service provided to current OC students, faculty and staff to obtain materials NOT held in the Beam Library within copyright limitations. Most libraries lend books and provide photocopies of periodical articles. Other materials may be available depending on the policies of individual libraries.
Interlibrary loan requests can be made in two ways:
- by clicking on the Interlibrary Loan or ILL button available in the library's catalog or the online databases.
- by filling out an online form on the library's webpage (click on the Interlibrary Loan link within the Request It category listed at the bottom of the library's homepage).
- by filling out a paper form available at the circulation desk (the completed form should be returned to the circulation desk).
The time for the entire process varies dramatically and often the material will come in a couple of days but to be safe, allow at least two weeks for the material to be received. When the material arrives, the borrower will be notified by telephone or email. The material can be picked up at the circulation desk.If it is an article, it will be sent electronically to your OC email.
The loan period is determined by the lending library. A renewal request must be made four days in advance of the due date and left at the circulation desk so there is time to request a renewal from the lending library. Only five ILL books can be renewed for a student each semester. You can also use the online ILL Renewal Request form:
- The library's home page (library.oc.edu),
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and under the heading Library Info
- Click on Request It
- Click on Interlibrary Loan Renewal. Click HERE for the direct link to the renewal form.
- Any charges to the Beam Library will be billed to the borrower. If there is a charge by the lending library, the borrower will be notified beforehand to determine if the fee will be paid or the request should be canceled.
- $0.50 per day for overdues.
- $1.00 for every book that is not picked up before its due date.
- No reorders of a title for a student during the same semester.
- A borrower is responsible for reimbursing the lending library for material which is lost, stolen or damaged. The charge is designated by the lending library.